Tuesday, June 14th
18:30 to 20:30: Welcome Aperitif, which will feature a "Belgian beer tasting" at the "Il Trovatore" lounge at the NH Belfort Hotel in the very centre of town.
The Welcome Event is generously sponsored by our conference sponsor Vector
Wednesday, June 15th
18:30: Visit to St Bavo's Cathedral, Ghent and 3D visit of the famous altarpiece. The tumultuous history of the Ghent Altarpiece has been one of wars, fire and theft. After the Second World War, the Ghent Altarpiece returned to the Vijd chapel in Saint Bavo's Cathedral and in 1986 the polyptych moved to the Villa Chapel. The Cathedral visit is limited to 70 persons in order of registration.
Information and pictures can be found on the website: sintbaafskathedraal.be
20:00: Dinner in The Abt. De Abt is located in the shadow of St Bavo's Cathedral in the heart of Ghent. A place that can only be characterised by one label: unique. How so? For one thing, it boasts a rich history and close links with the Abbey of Orval. But more importantly, De Abt is the only Orval brasserie in Flanders, a cosy meeting place and a wonderful event venue where everyone is welcome. More information on https://www.deabt.gent/en/
(People will have to share their dietary requests with us in advance)
Thursday, June 16th
18:30: Boat tour the medieval center of Ghent (cost 12 EUR)
An enthralling tour along the waterways of the medieval centre of Ghent admiring its monuments:
- St Bavo’s Cathedral, the Belfry and St Nicholas’ Church
- Old guildhalls of boatmen, masons, grain measurers, fishmongers, hagbutters, etc.
- Impressive castles like the Castle of the Counts and the Princes’ Court, birthplace of Charles V of Spain
- The old Fish market facing the even older Meat Hall built many years ago
- The more than solid 13th-century Monasteries previously occupied by Augustinians and Dominicans
- The Ancient Port of Ghent with its quay walls and mercantile houses, never too far away of shady inns packed with girls of easy virtue, etc.
- The old Law Courts of Ghent
- The picturesque teahouses
- The scenic marina until the Coupure Canal.
Meeting point: Green hut, Korenlei 4A, 9000 Gent, Belgium
19:45: 3 course dinner at Carlos Quinto (cost 40 EUR including drinks)
Address: Kammerstraat 20, 9000 Gent
Option between vegaterian – non-vegetarian food (to be indicated in registration form)
(The Thursday evening activities are not automatically included, costs will be added to the registration fee if people want to join)